Friday, November 7, 2014

Essay for Week 12: Robin Hood


Often times, I find myself getting bored with some of the stories I have to read, especially the lengthy ones. I am to blame for most my boredom, because I usually wait to the last minute to read the stories and I’m tired and grumpy. The unit of Robin Hood seemed even more troublesome as I began it, since the stories were written as ballads. Poetry and song-type literature can become very dull when simply read in your head. They require tune and rhythm to be fully enjoyed, otherwise they are dry and lifeless.

One thing that I really enjoyed when I read the Robin Hood unit in the Un-textbook was the video added to the ballad of Robin Hood and Little John. This was a particularly long ballad, but, instead of reading the ballad, the unit provided the option of listening to a man sing it accompanied by his acoustic guitar. This helped the story flow much more smoothly and held my interest much longer. I ended up retelling this story in my Storytelling blog post. Not only did the song help me enjoy this particular ballad, but others as well. I then had a tune in my head to which I could read the other ballads, which helped keep me moving along and stay interested in the story.

Bottom line, I think this was a great tool to add to the Robin Hood unit. I know that there are also some units that provide audio recording so that one can listen to the story instead of reading it. This can be especially useful for someone who is tired from a long day and does not want to read several stories. Instead, they can relax and listen and think about what they find interesting in the story. This helps motivate creativity when it is their turn to write the story.

3 comments:

  1. Joshua, just a quick note to thank you for your comments here. I am really glad you liked having the YouTube to listen to! I looked for YouTube performances for any of the ballads I could find, and now I follow him at Google+ because I enjoy listening to the songs he shares at YouTube on a regular basis, and they crosspost automatically to Google+. He does all kinds of traditional folksongs and ballads!
    ThreeLegsRomans at Google+
    Happy Friday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyro Tip (I am not a pro): If you ever have the need to write a ballad, try singing it to the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun". That will help you get the meter and rhyme scheme right in a fairly painless way.

    It's sort of the reverse of your idea but can be helpful in *impromptu ballad jams*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this unit, but now I really want to! I have always been a fan of Robin Hood. One of my favorite spoofs of it is Men in Tights with the guy from Princess Bride. It is a HILARIOUS movie and if you are a fan of comedies, you should definitely check it out! There are so many Robin Hood adaptations out there that it is sometimes hard to find the good ones! But this is definitely one of them!

    ReplyDelete